* Assign responsibility, and incorporate a structure, for reporting to senior management or board level.
* Conduct a baseline CSR review and produce a gap analysis.
* Review shareholders' and customers' perspectives and expectations.
* Write a policy statement, covering environmental, social and community issues, that commits to action.
* Develop a set of corporate objectives and an action plan to implement the policies.
* Establish company-wide quantitative and qualitative targets and key performance indicators over a two- to five-year period, together with the necessary measurement, monitoring and auditing mechanisms.
* Embed actions and strategies into core business strategies and processes.
* Communicate performance externally so that inquiries from fund managers and stakeholders do not take up too much internal management time.
* Benchmark environmental and social performance internally and externally.