BUILDING A FUTURE FOR AFRICA
The current development priorities of the African Development Bank Group are based on Africa's development objectives. These include promoting sustainable development through production growth acceleration and social development support.
The ADB Group keenly recognises the central role of poverty reduction in the quest to improving socio-economic conditions in Africa. In addressing the objectives of growth and poverty reduction, Bank Group operations give priority to investments in rural and social development, as well as those addressing cross-sectoral concerns, such as gender mainstreaming, environmental management, economic integration and private sector development.
Strategic Areas of Focus of the Bank Group include:
* To increase and diversify agricultural production, generate supplementary revenues and employment and attain food self-sufficiency.
* Create new infrastructure; rehabilitate and maintain existing infrastructure.
* Strengthen the telecommunications, energy and water supply sub-sectors.
* Ensure power supply and exploitation of mining resources.
Health & Education
* Ensure rehabilitation and creation of health centres, hospitals, supply of medicines, medical research; strengthening of educational structures.
* Support industrialisation efforts and domestic processing of primary products through lending to financial intermediaries.
In the area of environmental management, the ADB Group acts in conformity with a number of sectoral guidelines related to forestry, industry, energy and mining sector, maritime and coastal resources protection. Environmental protection is therefore a major area of the ADB's special initiatives. With respect to the integration of environmental concerns into Bank Group operations, considerable progress has been made toward implementing the Environmental Policy. Guidelines for the environmental impact assessment (EIA) are being developed for several new areas of assessment, in-depth training has been provided to managers and professional staff in the area of environmental analysis and preservation. Training has been offered to officials of the Bank's regional member countries too. This is to make them familiar with Bank Group policies and procedures on the environment and environmental impact assessments, and to improve project quality and sustainability.
Private Sector Promotion